Saturday, December 09, 2006

the end of a curse

this time it has to be...four years i have lurched in oblivion wondering if ever I would be able to get that confidence back....the confidence to get that red leather across that intimidating green turf ...and this sunday i got it back....I remember how 4 years back I had struggled to do that....just the evening before the final test, I was in the nets bowling,jumping and brimming with confidence...little I have realised all is going to shatter the very next day...so the day arrived...the sun had started heating up that cold winter morning and we were ready to go and kill...we got to field first and I was the opening bowler...the first over went good...just 2 runs...the trouble started in the very next over....first ball wide....second wide...third noball...fourth full toss and six on that....suddenly i felt weak in hands...the ball was just not going straight...i tried to reduce the speed but to no avail...i had known that there was serious problem....every trick was boomeranging on me...my confidence had hit rock bottom...my captain came to pacify me ...i was told to give a slow ball but no wide....it was a nightmare....finishing the over had become a herculean task...never before i was challenged in this way...there was nothing left for me in the match....only embarrasment...i was made a joke...i dont think anyone in the history of IIT match has bowled an over of 21 balls...finally it got over and i was sent to third man...i didn't do anything that day though we won the match...i didn't play any cricket match for my hostel team after day...so down I was in confidence that it seems I would never ba able to bowl again.... But,finally this got over this sunday when i went to play a match ....this time i went with a cool headed determined mind but with no overconfidence....I reached early there and went straight to the middle pitch as if saying today I will conquer you...I bowled 4 overs without any wides or no balls ,claiming 2 wickets.My sporting identity got another life....finally the curse was over....

1 comment:

Sumit said...

i like ur humbleness.